Monday, October 3, 2011

#205 - Hiking


McRitchie Reservoir at 7AM (no filter - it really looks like this)


Stream at Rifle Range Link

They ran from McRitchie Reservoir to Rifle Range Road and back!

Most of my friends use Salomon XCRs

Merrel Col Mid Hiking Boots - review to follow
I enjoyed hiking so much last week that I went back
for more :-)

So, some of my friends got bitten by the running
'bug'.... and some even went ahead and bought
Salomon XCRs in the hope of doing some trail
running. Well, bad knees have made sure that
I not only 'retire' from playing soccer but also that
I do not enjoy any running on hard pavement.
But, of course, good hiking boots and a patella
band made sure that I can still get my fun doing
trail hiking!

Anyway, last Friday, emails were flying around
the office as to how best 'attack' the trail from
McRitchie Reservoir to Bukit Timah Visitor
Centre. It was decided that my friends were
going to run the route and that they will also
do a u-turn and head back to McRitchie
Reservoir to take a shower. I was just reading
the mails and smirking. Heh! Run?! That long?!

Saturday came and I didn't even bother going
to the McRitchie Reservoir Visitor Centre. I am
sure my friends can't come so early. They were
all coming from Pasir Ris/Tampines/Bedok area.
I headed straight to the trails but before I went in,
I sent an sms to NoLights Louie to say that I was
already there and that I'm going ahead... and that
if they really are running that they should be able
to overtake me since I'm just going to walk.

McRitchie Reservoir is covered by fog early
in the morning. Fantastic scenery! I swear I will
go back again next week!

I was waiting for my friends to just zoom past
me but this never happened. Hehehehe I knew
they were just walking :-) So I sent another
sms just before I got to the Park Ranger Station.
I smsed : You are all so slow. I will wait for
all of you at the Park Ranger station so you can
catch up. After that, I went into the toilet and then took
pictures of a pair of motorcycles (do they use
them to chase errant mountainbikers?). I heard
some trail runners say they do trail runs at night!
Then I heard my phone buzz and I got a reply
from NL Louie saying they just passed the
Ranger Station and did not see me! Huh?!
... soooo they really ran?!

I continued my hike and just before I reached
Rifle Range Road, I received another sms saying
they have already reached the 'end' of the trail and
they are running back. True enough, while I
was composing my reply, here comes the trio
of Bal, NoLights Louie and Henry running
towards me!

I wanted to take them with me to Durian Loop
but they left some of their stuff in the lockers
at McRitchie and so they really had to do a
u-turn and run back. Well, maybe next time
then ... but ... they really ran?!!!?

No comments:

Post a Comment