Sunday, October 30, 2011

#215 - Hiking






Pictures from Saturday's hike.



Waterproof Hi-Tec Otter Trail boots. Breaking in by
using it to go to work.

My son decided he wants my other pair of
hiking boots and so I had to get myself this pair
of cheaper Hi-Tec Otter Trail waterproof boots.
World Of Sports had a 10% + 30% sale and so I
got these boots for around 75$... and yup, I'll add
this pair to my 'to write a review' list.



On the left is a trekking pole tip, on the right
is a nordic walking pole tip.
The nice part of the hike today wasn't just the new
boots though.... We were walking around Velocity Mall
last Friday. We went to the usual places like Running
Lab (@1st floor), 2XU, Outdoors and WOS (all three on
the 2nd floor) and lastly, to these 2 stores on the 3rd floor.
The first store on the 3rd floor is related to WOS. They sell
Columbia, Salomon and Hi-Tec. The other store (Xtrekkers?)
sells Garmont hiking boots (expensive!) and other high end
trekking / mountain climbing stuff. One of the staff there
is really very eager to serve. His enthusiasm verges on
the irritating. However, when I was looking at a pair of
Silva 'trekking poles' (<-- notice the quotes, i'll explain later),
he said that a pair of those poles only cost 69$ !
Wow! All the other poles in that store cost 100$+ and
here, we have a pair of poles costing 69$ ??? We're on !
... and wonders never ceased because while we were
paying, it turned out that there's a 10% off on the poles
that I was buying!

Anyway, while we were walking home, I realised that the
rubber tip of the poles that I bought were 'funny'. See
the picture above. They looked like the ones on the right.
First, I was thinking maybe you use them until they wear
off and become flat? hehehehe. In the end of course, I
realised that the flat end of the tips on the right of the photo
should be in contact with the ground and if that is so... then
how do you use these poles?

To make the long story short, I went on to YouTube and
checked out all the hiking videos there. One video led to
another until I saw one video which is praising the advantages
of Nordic Walking. That sounds familiar? Yup, some upmarket
gyms have nordic walking machines. ... and finally, I saw the
tips on the 'trekking poles' that those people on YouTube
were using. Serendipity has struck again. That guy in
Xtrekkers actually sold me a pair of Nordic walking
poles hence the 'funny' tip.

I watched the nordic walking videos in YouTube and
I decided to apply it for this Saturday's hike...
and it was a revelation :-)

Nordic walking is not just easy on your knees, it even
involves your whole body. So now, I can walk and I get
a complete exercise. Walking / running primarily involves
our lower extremities. But doing Nordic walking, you use
also use you arms and shoulders.

So, if you have bad knees, go on over to YouTube,
type nordic walking on the search field and click the
Search button :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment