Friday, November 11, 2011

#216 - Hiking







My toughest hike to date! I finally decided
to suck it up and finish climbing the Catchment
Path. Anyway, before I did this climb I did
some preparations... errr, actually, just one
preparation. I called one lady friend to go with
me. Hehehe so now, if I ever felt the need to
wuss out again on the stair climbs, all I need to
do is look over my shoulder and see my
friend suffering in silence. That should make me
feel like a weakling and spur me on ... in theory :-)

This hike started nicely because instead of
meeting my friend at King Albert Park McDonald's,
we met on bus 171. We accidentally took the
same bus. So no, time wasted there.

We went into Durian Loop first. Since we
were coming from the direction of Dunearn to
Rifle Range, this trail points upwards. This is a
nice warmup for what's to follow.

After Durian Loop, we crossed over to Bukit
Timah and headed to Catchment Path... and this
time I completed the climb. The only disappointing thing
is that I was expecting Catchment Path to go allll
the way to the summit. But no, it leads to the main
road. We walked a few paces up the main road
and then continued climbing using the Summit Path.
Around this time, I am already wondering why these
trails in BT are called 'path' when in reality they
are STAIRS !!!!

Once we got to the Summit, we then headed down
to Rengas Path and then to the Dairy Farm Loop ...
at first I thought since we already left the summit,
all trails should be pointing down... but no! Whoever
designed these trails made sure we will have a
great workout by making us climb again, then go
down, then climb.. you get the picture?

Anyway, we were already wondering if we
were walking around in circles when we heard
a group of people ask another group where the
particular trail that we're on leads. The answer
was that the trail leads to some waterfalls !

My friend and I thought 'WOW!!!' ! There's
actually a waterfall in here?! So on we went
with renewed energy. After a couple of paces
we started hearing what my friend described
as "heavy rain falling on the jungle canopy". After
a few paces more ... we finally came where the
noise seemed to be coming from but ... there
were no waterfalls ... then we looked down
and it dawned upon us .... ohhhhhhh 'waterfall'.
Yup, forget any romantic notion that you have
in your head about the word 'waterfall'. Here
it is being used loosely. See the pic above where
I doused my head with water? That's the waterfall.
But the water is very cold ... and I saw some
guys refilling their water bottles from that
stream !

All in all, the hike was good fun. It provided 2
full hours of suffering, I mean exercise :-)
It's just that on weekends, the place gets a
little crowded ... maybe I'll try to go there on
a weekday ... or maybe at night !

No comments:

Post a Comment