Saturday, November 12, 2011

#217 - Sunday Ride







This group ride happened Sunday last week. A few of
the Eastern boys thought with Monday being a holiday,
they can afford to have a long ride with us in the more
exciting trails at Mandai.

Anyway, the attending riders who were supposed to
meet at Casuarina Curry at 8:30am were all late due
to the very very heavy morning rain. I, on the other
hand decided to become sneaky again. I am supposed
to accompany my family to Ikea/Queensway Shopping
Centre in the afternoon and so had to cut my ride short.

So what I did was to ride as early as 7am. I went
to Rifle Range Road and went straight to Zheng Hwa
Park by going opposite to the normal trail direction of
Belukar Track. There were no people in ZH Park
to chat with and so I went to Rooty Trail. The entrance
to Rooty Trail has really become water-logged this
past few weeks. I went in and did a slower than
usual ride of the trail and after that I stopped to
eat my breakfast of a sandwich and some cashew
nuts under the 'mango' trees.

I was regulating my pace because I don't want
to meet up with the rest of the peloton at the
Old Upper Thomson exit. I then went to Gangsa
and entered the the trail leading to the Summit.

I didn't stop at the Summit and continued on to
the first stream thinking that the peloton should be
entering the trail from the opposite end by now.
When I got to the 2nd stream I stopped for a loonggg
rest hoping that the peloton would show up ...
no such luck. I pushed on to the third stream
and dilly-dallied seeing as the 'handle' of the
'bridge' is no longer there... still no peloton.
Looks like I have to fetch them from Casuarina
Curry! I resigned to my fate and proceeded
with my ride.... and then finally! I saw StairRider
Deck ducking under one of the fallen trees on
the trail. Contact!

Everybody told me how sneaky my plan was
and as a penalty, I will have to continue riding
without rest hehehehe. I went with the peloton
back to the mango trees. It was while under these
trees when the whole MTB Brothers peloton
arrived. Lots of 'hi's and 'hello's as the Eastern
boys seldom see the MTB Brothers peloton.
After sharing some more biscuits and bananas
with the MTB Brothers, we all went and did
the reverse Rooty Trail. Now the peloton
is quite big. I think it should be more than 20
people!

After the reverse Rooty Trail, we all went to do
the main Bukit Timah MTB loop... That is I did
the last 1/3rd because I had to bail out once
I reached the trail leading back to Rifle Range
Road and clean, dry clothes :-)

Below are some pics of what was on test last week.

SR Deck's new SIDI Eagle Pro 5. Bought from Tay Cycles BT.
Deck comes from Shimano M181N which he said is very stiff.
However, he now declares  these SIDIs to be sooo stiff, that
those M181Ns feel like yesterday's peanut butter sandwich
by comparison. Also, they are not just very stiff, they are
also very light. After saying all those, he looked directly
at my eyes and told me : Mon, Absalon is right, we need these
shoes.  Luckily, Christmas is coming :-) 

Finally! After 2 months of nailbiting and scanning for newspaper
articles if there are cargo ships that sunk en route to Singapore,
Efren has finally found the Truth. The Elsworth Truth according
to him pedals soooo nice on the climbs that he sometimes shed
tears of joy whenever the trail points up. Of course, on the way
down I can't get too much info from him because he basically is
a good descender. So for those who want a good climber but
don't want the ubiquitous Giant bikes, maybe you need to search
for the Truth. You may find the Truth at Hup Leong in Chinatown.


The one on test here is Ronald's new 2012 Fox 150mm, 32mm stanchioned,
Kashima coated fork. Ronald is coming from a a TALAS 160mm
with 36mm stanchions. The claims are that this new fork of his is
400grams lighter from his old one. So while climbing, Ronald
can be heard muttering his mantra '400grams lighter' and this
seemed to do the trick. Of course, when we got to the stairs in
BT, 400grams is almost negligible and did not prevernt
him from blowing a gasket. Anyway, for me the best part
of the new fork are the words 'Kashima coated' on the upper part
each of the stanchions. This should remind you that the stanchions
are Kashima coated in case you ever wonder why your stanchions
seem to be goldish colored hehehehe.



No comments:

Post a Comment