Tuesday, October 18, 2011

#209 - Hiking


Wake up !







Today is the 2011 edition of The NorthFace 100 !

At first I wanted to go to McRitchie Reservoir to see
the starting line of  the TNF100. But I thought with the
large crowd of spectators, competitors, groupies, etc.
there, I would rather start my hike from Bukit Timah.

I woke up quite late (yeah still suffering from waking-up-late-
syndrome) and so got off late at the bus stop near King Albert
Park McDonald's. That is where my hike started. I walked
up the overhead bridge and went in to Rifle Range Road.
I turned left at the entrance to the Bukit Timah Mountain
Bike Trail ... and noticed that apart from the medics
and traffic enforcers ... there are no competitors to be
found?!? I walked the MTB trail and turned left
at the first junction that leads to the Visitor Centre.
It was here that a competitor or two passed me.

I then went to the Visitor Center and went right
into the South View path (?). I thought I should
return to the locale of my last defeat AKA Catchment Path
and set things right. I was climbing the stairs quickly
and descending them even more quickly ... but ! (there's
always a but), it seems my clunky hiking boots are
not the tool for what I was planning to do. Hehehe
and so that was my excuse. I reached the junction
of Cave Path and Catchment Path. Going left means
more misery but the end promises some form of
redemption from being such a wuss last week.
Going right means taking it easy and being a wuss
again... hehehehe no contest. You can call me
a weakling all week LOL.

Anyway, at the exit of Catchment Path, I turned
left to Rifle Range Road again and went into Durian
Loop. It seems I managed to catch up with those
running the 50km loop in Durian Loop.

I took some pictures while I was at the side of the
Durian Loop bridge. It seems the TNF100 participants
have really trained for this. Not one of them looked like
exhausted. A lot were even having conversations with
their running partners as if they were eating Big Breakfasts
at McDonalds. Then I saw this guy running who doesn't
have his right arm. I took his picture (see last photo above)
and basically was looking at him with admiration. I was
still looking at him when he was ascending the stairs after
the bridge that I didn't see his friend running after him.
His friend doesn't have one of his legs! There was just
a hi-tech looking prosthetic there. Wow, talk about
commitment and perseverance!

... and then yesterday NoLights Louie posted the below
video in our Facebook Groups page

No comments:

Post a Comment