Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Titanium Seatpost


as the saying goes, a picture is worth 201 grams ....

Nice? :-)
Last Monday, I walked to Tay Junction which is like 3 HDB blocks
away from my office. I wasn't planning on buying anything.
Especially after I was quoted 95$ for Ti barends at their
Bukit Timah branch.

While browsing around, I saw a sliver of Titanium peaking from under
a bunch of black anodized aluminum seatposts.... I asked the
saleslady if that seatpost is 27.2mm. She confirmed with
one of their mechanics that it is. I asked how much while
knowing that eventually the price will be beyond my reach.
Then she said : 100$, sir. Upon hearing the amount,
I didn't hear what else she was saying. All I could hear
was Annie Lennox singing 'There must be an Angel' (right title?)
inside my head. So, this time, I gladly paid for the seatpost and
went home happily.

The Ti Seatpost that I got looks like the Soul Titanium Seatpost
advertised in the Soul Bikes website. I can only see two differences.
First, the Soul sticker is missing. Second, the Soul seatpost is 150$.
What a difference a brand name makes ;-) Also, this seatpost trimmed
off a few grams from my bike's overall weight as it is only 201 grams.
The amoeba seatpost that I used to use for my Inbred weighs 306grams.

I used this on my Two Hills ride last night. All that I have heard
about Ti damping trail chatter (in this case, it's the bricks in the
HDB walkways) is true. I indeed can feel that my ass can feel
less unevenness in the roads.

Now I am happy with my bike :-) I have a steel frame, Ti seatpost,
tubeless wheelset and an airfork.... but wait... Eggbeater 2s are
lighter than my Candy 2s! Maybe ......   :-)

2 comments:

  1. The Ti color doesn't match the red frame.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heh! You haven't seen my Titanium handle bar yet :-) ... and it looks great with the color of the fork stanchion :-)

    ReplyDelete