Thursday, October 20, 2011

#211 - Merrel Col Mid Hiking Boots


Merrel Mid Col's after the rain (see next pic).
This was also my first trail hike with these shoes.

I've worn my Merrel Col Mid's during this rain



Merrel Col Mid after 15 days.
They should be broken in by now.
According to most dictionaries, Serendipity is when
someone accidentally finds something good. Finding
the Merrel Col Mid Hiking boots should qualify as an
example of Serendipity.

Ever since I discovered that the trail in McRitchie Reservoir
connects to the various trails in Bukit Timah/Mandai area
via Rifle Range Road, I have always wanted to hike that trail.
Forget about running. My right knee has been operated on
already. My left knee has been very painful even if I just
walk from Lavender MRT to my house at Whampoa...
and those walks were done using running shoes with
anti-pronation wedges ... AND those shoes had aftermarket
inserts in them. I resorted to tying a patella band on my
left knee and that helped a lot.

One Friday, my wife and son asked me to accompany
them to Royal Sporting House in Suntec where they sell
cheaper jerseys, shoes, shorts, etc. Once we got there,
the first pile of shoes that greeted us was from Merrel
and well well well, it says all shoes were going
for 50$ per pair only !

I dived into the pile, let Serendipity do its job and
when I surfaced for air, I was holding a pair of Merrel Col
Mids in my hand. I went to one corner and surfed
the web for reviews using my iPhone. The reviews that
I read were a mixture of good and bad (as always), but
it seems the good reviews outnumbered the bad ones ...
and for just 50$, I decided I'd take my chance.

There was one hitch though ... one of the eyelets of the
right shoe was detached. The eyelet was on a piece of
plastic string which was attached to the shoe and so
my wife said 'maybe it can repaired?' ... so I thought,
ok, I'd still get it. Hey, even a pair of Havaiana slippers
cost over 50$ !

The Revelation began immediately after I paid for the
shoes. I immediately put them on ... It was like walking
barefoot on a thick pile carpet! I can feel my
knees were already thanking me! Walking with these
boots in the shopping mall make you feel funny.
They are clunky and unwieldy BUT they are very
very comfortable.

I wore them again the next day to work. I also
wear them whenever I walk home from
Lavender MRT to Whampoa. All this time, I still
have a patella band. Finally, when the weekend came,
I wore them on my walk from McRitchie
to Bukit Timah (10km).

From the time I bought them up to now, it has already
been 3 weeks and I have used them every weekend
on my hikes...Last Sunday (9 Oct) and yesterday (15 Oct),
I not only used them to go hiking from McRitchie to BT but I
also used them to climb the stairs in the Catchment Trail
in Bukit Timah. They are heavy, like almost all hiking boots.
However, yesterday, I forgot to bring my patella
band and I was pleasantly surprised to find out that
I don't need it anymore ... when I'm using these shoes :-)

Notice that I left out the specs of these hiking boots
in this review. You'll find the specs here at this website.
I don't understand much of the terms anyway
(e.g. "last", "rand", etc.). 

I just know that these shoes have saved me many
many times from twisting my ankles. It also has very
good grip even in the wet. It is waterproof but of course
if you use them during heavy rain, water will come in
from the top. Don't worry, though, once the rain stops,
the water does not slosh around inside the boot. I know
this since I have used it while raining.

But best of all, and I can't get over it, is it seems to
have 'cured' my knees!!!  I don't feel any knee pain
now ... so much so that I just bought a lighter alternative
to these shoes : Salomon XT Wings 2 hehehehe

No comments:

Post a Comment