Friday, June 22, 2012

#249 - HardTails

We felt sooo 'lazy' on this ride that we thought we'd rather climb
a few stairs than go to the reroute to Jalan Tenaga on the way to
Tampines Trail

A very delicious Storck. I asked the owner if I could lift it
.... and I was very surprised at how light this bike is!

All five slots in the wash bay was occupied by hardtails.
The ones waiting their turn are all on hardtails as well.
Some were on 29ers, most were carbon HTs. By the way,
notice the inverted handle bar on this 29er?
Lately, I have been going to Tampines Trail on Sundays.
This particular Sunday, I saw Boom and KK there ... so that
was one carbon 29er HT and one 26 HT.... and when I reached
the gate it was then that I noticed that almost everyone there
was on a carbon HT. Also there seems to be more 29ers now.

Finally, when I was waiting my turn to clean my bike on the
wash bay, all five slots were taken up by hardtails ... and those
waiting their turn were also on hardtails. And! Only me, my
friend and another guy (on a white Merida HT) were cleaning
aluminum hardtails! Most were on hardcore carbon race bikes!

What's the big deal you say? Nothing. Just an observation.
Four years ago, when I bought my first MTB. I bought a HT
because of budget issues. Most people I meet on the trails,
be it Bukit Timah (and surrounding trails) or Tampines Trail
are using 140mm bikes. I remembered that there was even
a strong XC team that had it's members using ML8s
(remember those?).

Fast forward 4 years later, to the present. Here I am
having three FS frames at my disposal and yet I'm using my
aluminum Jamis HT in Tampines Trail :-) The thing is, now
that we can't go to the nicest trails in Singapore anymore
due to their being illegal, couple that with me and my friends
discovering the joy of attending Malaysia's jamborees, I am
seriously considering getting a carbon HT ... or a Lysnkey.

... and so, if you are seriously considering giving the sport/hobby
of mountain biking a shot, just get a simple hardtail first. Who knows,
maybe that is all you need? :-)







7 comments:

  1. monico.. let hit the tamp trail tomorroow morn? 9am?i show u my carbon hartail too

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jack? U also have 1? Aaaarrggghhh. Anyway, tomorrow we will be in Ketam. We still need to go for long rides because we'll be going for Muar Jambo next Sunday. After July 1st then we can go for a ride.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i have 2.. in fact. i had 2 alum hard tail. then went with the FS that you saw that time. then went back to hardtail and got myself a carbon 29 hardtail..
    Ketam... maybe i should go ketam too.. lately TBP is fill with people and alot of them are riding very aggressively.. wonder why.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol. They are riding 'aggresively' maybe because they are practicing for the National Championships to be held next week @ TBP.

      Delete
  4. i guess so. :) i seem them trying to pass each other on rock garden.. once wrong move and down they roll. in fact last week. one guy broke his arm at the rock garden. I saw it happen. and the ambulance came to pick him up .
    Scary man.. This is suppose to be a relaxing sport..

    ReplyDelete
  5. So kan chiong for what?

    ReplyDelete
  6. i bet the guy that broke his arm was on a hard tail LOL

    ReplyDelete