Thursday, January 20, 2011

BarEnds

Ok kids, here I am at home because I don't have anyone
to go with to Mt. Faber. StairRider Deck is missing in action
and NoLights Louie is climbing a molehill errrr... ahem.. a hill (???)
in Bedok Reservoir (??)

So, with nothing to do, I go and write about barends...
hehehe now that should give you an idea of how bored I am.

Anyway, I started mountain biking on August 2008.
Like any newbie, my greatest weakness is climbing.
I read through MTBR.com and went through the expensive
routine of upgrading/lightening my bike. After all the upgrades
were done, I realised I only needed three things to climb
decently : 2. SPD pedals and cleats, 3 light wheelset and
4. barends. That's it! Ok, no. 1 is missing. No. 1 should
be fitness and practice climbing but that's beside the point
because we are talking about equipment.

From left to right : Ergon, Cane Creek attached to an ODI grip,
and KCNC barends

My first barend is from Ergon that I bought from Hup Leong.
My second is a Cane Creek that I bought for 5$.
My third is a pair of KCNC anorexic barends.
I didn't bother publishing the actual weights because with barends,
weights don't matter. What matters is it's effectiveness in 
giving you comfort and additional leverage when climbing.

If you also notice, I grouped the 3 pairs of barends together.
This is because although they look like very different from 
each other, they provide almost the same hand placement
(for me). That hand placement is always near the end (side?)
of your straight handlebar.

Although I get addtional hand positions for climbing,
I always ask myself  'what if i could place my hand on top
of the handle bar'? Roadie Rio told me one night @Mt. Faber
that I need to get a Colnago roadbike for that because
the handposition that I am looking for corresponds to the
top of the hoods of a roadbike (!!!).
Long, curved barends. There's a screw at the base of
the 'horn' part of the barend which enables it to be angled up.
Now enter these cheap, old school barends which I bought
at this bikeshop at the basement of SM Megamall for 300PHP
(less than 10SGD).

I have been using this barends for my Sunday Trail rides since
last November. I put my hands at the top end of the barends
and I climb Rifle Range Road... and it's bliss :-)
I climb Mount Faber... sigh ... nice feeling :-)

I will not tell you that these barends gave me more comfort
or more hand positions or more leverage or that it opened
my chest area so that I could breathe more. No, you won't get
those from me. I could not feel those. The only thing I could
feel is that the handpositions that there barends provide
are the 'correct' ones.

Of course, these observations are purely from my point
of view alone. If you interview StairRider Deck about his
CaneCreek barends or CrestPursuit Owen about his Ergon
barends, I'm quite sure they'd think I'm smoking pot :-)

Left figure shows how I feel when I use Ergon, Cane Creek and KCNC.
Right figure shows me using the cheap, old school barends

1 comment:

  1. mag carbo-loading k the night before k mag bike para lumakas pag pedal mo...mag lunges k tsaka alternate one-leg leg press

    ReplyDelete