Sunday, August 1, 2010

Fallen Trees Aug 1, 2010

This morning was supposed to be my inaugural dawn ride (ala full pledged roadie) to do some laps at Mt. Faber.


But when I woke up at 5AM, there was a storm outside. I went back to sleep and when I woke up again at around 8AM, it was only then when I surfed the net that I realised that the whole of Singapore was again subjected to heavy rains. In fact for the whole day, dark clouds never once let the sun shine through.


... but did that stop me from riding ? No! Since it was drizzling all day, the roads are wet and I decided to stay away from the wet, slippery roads. I am also quite convinced that if yesterday there were three fallen trees in Bukit Timah trail, by today, those three would have multiplied by a minimum of two. So I went ahead to T15 via my normal way of climbing Rifle Range road.


If I think all the fallen trees would have fallen inside the trails, boy, was I wrong. There were lots of fallen trees in Rifle Range road and lots of people (I don't know from which Gov't. agency) were working feverishly to clean the road of debris, branches and fallen trees.


Blogger.com has a limit of five pictures per post and I have deliberately limited the number of pictures I took because of this limit.


At Rifle Range I decided to show what to me is the most dangerous fallen tree. Actually, the danger is that a big tree branch is hanging over the left side of the road. All the other fallen trees are not as dangerous because they have already fallen and people can see them. See picture below and notice that this tree branch will be 'invisible' to other road users until such time when it finally falls. I took this picture at around 10AM. I went back this way at 11AM plus and I noticed the people working on the fallen trees have already gone past this point. I thought they have already cut this down. I was shocked when I went past and saw that they left this tree branch alone?!?! Maybe the priority is to get the road clear first ?


This tree branch hasn't been cut by 11AM.... the thing is the people working on clearing the road have already gone this point? Wonder if they saw this?
I continued my way to T15. I saw two more fallen trees blocking the single track. This apart from the big tree that I have taken picture before.
-
From Zheng Hua Park, I went down to Chestnut Ave. Just before the under pass, the right side of the road is blocked by a fallen tree.
Fallen tree at the uphill track that leads from Belukar track (?) to Zheng Hua park.
There were people clearing the tree there while three boys in blue were looking on. A few meters later, there was another fallen tree, this time blocking the whole road. Only motorbikes and bicycles can go through by weaving around the branches of the tree.
-
I finally reached T15 ! I heaved my bike over the fence and proceeded to cycle .... shortly I encountered three fallen trees and that is before I even cycled 3 Km! At the 3rd fallen tree, I just looked up the sky and said "Ok, you win. I can take a hint. I'm going home now'.
-
So next three pictures are of the first three blockages in T15. I don't know if there are other blockages beyond this.






No comments:

Post a Comment