Saturday, May 21, 2011

Oakley Ducati Fives


Dilapited and abused Oakley Minute on the left - 37 gr
New Oakley Ducati Fives, Crizal / Transitions lenses on the right - 24 gr

I bought my Oakley Minute in 1998. I used it for a decade and when I
discovered MTB I had the original lenses popped off and asked an optical
shop to put in clear lenses with power (left 0.75, right 1.00) and
this Transition thing (automatically dims when exposed to light).
I paid 80$ for the pair of lenses which I know is very cheap. I had
my suspiscions on whether I got fake Transitions but seeing as how I
paid so little for the lenses, I didn't bother to ask. Anyway, they cope
with the light changes when you cycle on the Blue Diamond trail @Ketam and
then go under the canopy of the Black Diamond trail.

Fastforward 3 years and the right 'arm' of my Minute has been broken in
two places and repaired by epoxy putty which was used to reinforce the
exhaust pipes of my RC engines. The left 'arm' also has been broken once and
repaired with the same epoxy putty.

My wife bought these new Oakley Ducati Fives on her last trip
to America and said I can use it for MTB. Since my eyesight is
not 20/20, I had to go to my trusted Optical shop at China Town.
These time my wife told me to get these lenses right so that she
won't hear any whining from me at a later date. This means I got
the real Essilor Crizal and Transition lenses !

Crizal lenses means my lenses are impervious to dust, water,
scratches, reflection, and smudges. Of course, I will not try to
see if it is really impervious to scratches but I can try to
validate the other claims.

I used this today on my ride ... and most of you would
say 'It rained heavily today !'. Yes that's right. So that should
be the best test for this pair of specs right?

Whereas I am not so sure about the airiness of my Fox Striker
helmet versus my Fox Flux helmet, I am very sure that this pair
of glasses helped me with my ride today. The rain was so hard that
I almost couldn't see where I am going. That is in the Belukar track.
In the trail that leads to Old Upper Thomson, mud and water was
flying at my face because I don't have a mud guard in front BUT
I never had any problems as both water and mud seem never to cling
to my lenses. Also when I was going slow through any technical section,
I never had any problems with fogging.

This is the best purchase I have done to date. All the while I
thought the best purchase was my Anthem... No!
This pair of glasses plus the lenses is the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment