Saturday, April 30, 2011

Ketam Practice #1


A welcome surprise at the end of Blue Trail.
Filipina Mountain Bikers are almost extinct but these two look
like they are enjoying the trail.
The madness started today. It was decided that today's
group ride will be in Pulau Ubin in preparation for the
4 hour enduro on May.

The general consensus is that every one will run according
to their own pace. Ketam is mostly singletrack anyway and
you can't get lost. As and when any one thinks he's had enough
then he could just go to the coconut drink stall and wait for
the remainder of the group there.

I am one of those guys who find doing laps boring. Ever
since I have known how to cycle at Ketam, I have always
done only 1 lap and go to the other fireroads in the island.
But for today, I did three laps!

After doing my second lap, I decided I have had enough
of this self-inflicted punishment and went to the coconut drink
stall only for the auntie to tell me she doesn't have any
coconuts today! Ok, settled for 100+ instead :-)

I haven't finished my 100+ yet when Bal, Roadie Rio
and StairRider came to announce that they did 3 laps in
2 hours! So, that's the magic number.

After everybody has had their drink, they all prodded
me to do 1 last lap....and so I did a total of three laps.

Quote for the day should most probably belong to me:
"I could have easily done 5 laps straight, but I'm
already exhausted"

Also, I realised that this kind of long ride brings out
the worst in our equipment. Example ?

1. I was on a hardtail. I forgot to stand-up on one
part of the the trail... my saddle proceeded to rotate up
 thereby making me sit on my rear tire! Ouch!

2. Tubeless tires with sealant are not puncture proof!
Just ask Sherwin and Ibis Chris.

3. When you're tired, you begin to have brain fade and
 you do things like trying to run over a perfectly sturdy
tree hehehe.

4. Long climbs overstrain your chain and it's best to
bring spare links.

No comments:

Post a Comment