Sunday, April 24, 2011

Sunday Paddle



McRitchie Reservoir

Yup, you read that right ! Sunday paddle!
But before anything else, my excuse is that I'm 41 years old
this year and I haven't been paddling for almost 3 years
(I'll explain the need for the excuse later).

I paddled Dragonboat and Outrigger Canoes for 3 years
before I discovered MTB. SPC's coach told us that we need strong
legs to 'kick the boat' when we paddle. So I bought a basic MTB
and started to cycle. Ironically, I enjoyed MTB so much, I left
paddling. 

But recently, I began to feel that my core strength is lacking
and of course those pull-ups and dips that used to be easy
before are a lot more difficult now.... and so I decided to
crosstrain and go back to paddling...

The thing is I couldn't have been more wrong in choosing
to do my paddling comeback on a T1 ! The moment I stepped
into the boat, the boat started shuddering violently! The shaking was
actually caused by me trying to balance the boat just by using my
core muscles ... which I think I no longer have :-(

...and so, the boat capsized... and during the course of the
2 hour 'paddle' I think I capsized a total of 10 times.
Hence the excuse at the top of the post :-)

At first, my two paddlemates (see photos below) helped
me empty the boat. But one canoe coach showed me how
to empty the boat singlehandedly. You sit on the pontoon and
cradle the overturned boat on your two feet. You hook your 
two feet and do leg extensions. You do this a couple of times
until all the water drains out.

So needless to say I became an expert at this and I also
got my leg workout :-)

Also, it was my first time @McRitchie and while paddling
at the reservoir, I skirted the edge of the forest. It should be a
nice place to do some trail running. I know this area connects
to Bukit Timah via a 10km trail.

That's it, I leave you these pics of my paddlemates for now :-) 

Paddlemate #1 :-)


Paddlemate #2 ... notice 6pack under the Skins compression wear




No comments:

Post a Comment