Sunday, September 26, 2010

Night Ride

@King Albert Park McDonald's


Rifle Range Road climb


deck @ the trail head, note the flood of light coming from his
helmet mounted Magic Shine

It rained heavily yesterday afternoon (25 Sept, Saturday). Looking out the window of our
flat, i thought the night ride would be cancelled. However, the rains stopped at around 5PM.
Although we know the trails will be wet and muddy, we still went ahead with the night ride.
-
My friend recently added another Magic Shine MJ808 to his collection. Since I haven't bought my lights yet, he lent one to me to mount on my helmet. We've decided to put all our 'strong' torch lights on our bikes' handlebars and use the Magic Shines on our helmets.
-
Now this was more like it! No more eerie, soft lights from 9$ torchlights. We were riding as fast as if it was daytime. The MJ808s on our helmets really did the trick. We adjusted them such that the lights follow our eyes.
-
We went out at around 8PM, reached McDonalds' @ 8:30, had some burgers for dinner and then went to the trails at around 9pm. By 11:20pm, we were already cleaning our bikes at ESSO and we got home before 12midnight. All in all a no nonsense, short and sweet trail ride :-)
-
Note :
My friend uses a Sigma cyclometer on hic XC bike. He noticed that the Sigma unit does not function properly whenever there is a nearby operating MagicShine on the handlebar. When he turns off the MagicShine, the Sigma unit functions properly again... We don't know what causes this, just sharing info as a few might tear their hair and throw their cyclometers in frustration only to find out later that the culprit is the light unit near it.
Another note :
Since we were chased by dogs the last time we were at the trails @ Mandai, I bought a 'dogchaser' from a petshop in Thomson Plaza. I brought it with me on this night ride but we did not encounter said dogs. I have been testing it on the cats in the neighborhood though. It seems to be functioning perfectly ... but I haven't been able to test it on stray dogs yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment