Monday, June 21, 2010

Exustar SM321 MTB Cycling Shoes

Along the stretch of Bukit Timah Road, you will find a lot of high end bike stores. There are 2 branches of Bike Haus there, 3 branches of Tay Cycle, and there's a new one that brings in Guerciotti cycles.


Every time my friends and I go home from Bukit Timah trail we will always stop at Tay Cycles (the one specially for apparels only) and drool at the SIDI shoes, 400SGD helmets, etc.


Last Saturday, as usual, I had to stop there and look at things I can't afford :-(

But this is not just an ordinary Saturday! This Saturday I was alone. My friends were not with me and of course, when there are less people around, that's when these high-end stores decide this is the day that there will be a 50%-70% off SALE !!!!


Uhhh but I still can't afford the SIDIs. What caught my eye though, were these silver and black Exustar MTB shoes. They were 140SGD and they were going for 50% off! Ok, 70SGD, that one I can afford. There's a catch though, the 2 front studs are missing and the screws that were supposed to cover the holes were also missing.... I thought, ok, those look like the size of water cage screws. So I got them.



Features

I got a size 41 which is the last piece. It has 2 velcro straps and 1 big strap with a ratchet. The heel has reflectors. It also has a rubber heel cup. The leather seems to be of synthetic origin and there are parts that have mesh so your feet could breathe. The sole of the shoe is made up of hard plastic and the studs are bonded to it. The studs are a bit softer than the sole. The sole can accomodate any SPD style cleat and there are holes for 2 studs (which are missing) for all those hike a bike in the mud.






The inner liner is made by Poliyou insoles. I admit they don't ring any bells but they promise to keep these pair of shoes odor free. The insoles are supposed to be comfortable, breathable, wicks moisture, dries fast, odor resistant, anti-bacteria and shock absorbing (whew).


Testing

I had 1 pair of Shimano multi-release cleats lying around. So these went on to the shoes without any fuss. Also, true enough, the screws that are used to secure waterbottle cages on to bicycle frames are a perfect fit for plugging the holes left by the missing studs.


Walking on them feels ok. Not much difference between these and my other 2 Specialized shoes. However, the ratchet mechanism is a true piece of fine engineering :-) I have bad experience with Specialized ratchets. They don't release like they should. The notched strap doesn't go in smoothly, and all these when my shoes were new! Now that they are old and encrusted with dried mud, they are worse! The ratchets on the Exustar though is another story. These release when you push on the release button and the notched strap goes in as if they were greased. Nice.


I also felt the rubber heel cup is really 'cupping' my heel. It's like my heel is more stable with these shoes. They don't move around too much. I just don't know what advantages it would bring when pedalling.


The 'tongue' of the shoe is also very well padded. The padding is also quite good all around the 'cuff' area (where the shoe ends and your socks show up?).


20Km Test

I just got back from the test ... actually, I almost didn't get back! You know how those who are on clipless pedals pedal in circles? There is this pushing action on the leg that is going down. There is an opposite pulling action on the leg that is going up. Well, I was almost home when I pulled on the pedals and guess what? The whole sole of the left shoe was left on the pedal !!!

Unbelievable! I looked at the right shoe and even that was already peeling halfway starting from the heel.

This is upsetting. I thought I found a bargain. Sigh... what was that old saying again? When something seems too good to be true, it normally is. This applies 100% to this MTB shoe. I should have known. I can't see this model in the Exustar website anymore! I wonder how many years did Tay Cycle let these shoes sit in their store?

I'll leave you with one final picture of the soles of my left shoe and tomorrow I'll go to Tay Cycles to return these .. paper weights?






1 comment:

  1. Teeheehee :) but mind you, i see people use exustar shoes and they seem to be satisfied. Tay cycles' batch must be lemons.

    ReplyDelete