Saturday, June 19, 2010

Short Ride to T15 (Part 2)

continuation ...

T15 is 5km from end to end. You'll know that you are already at the end when you see ....

... this. The right path leads to the gates of a military camp. You'll have to do a u-turn and retrace the trail again so you'll get back to Bukit Timah.
The left side is a new entrance/exit that was done just a few months ago. This park connector leads all the way to Mandai Road. Yes, I know, the right side also leads to Mandai but that way is illegal and besides the left side is cooler due to the number of trees inside.
I rested at the shade of the first tree I encountered inside and then did a u-turn and rode back the way I came :-)


The ride today was made possible by my long suffering Jamis Durango Hardtail bike. I have had this bike for 2 years now. I started MTB on this bike. Upgrades on it are :
F1RST 120mm fork
Easton MonkeyLite SL 635mm carbon bars
Shimano PRO 100mm stem
Tune seatpost <== bought for just 80SGD :-)
Avid Juicy 3 Hydraulic brakes
Ashima 160mm Airotor
and an almost complete Deore drivetrain

Before I conclude this post, I'd like to show these Token steel bearing-ed jockey wheels.
I was shocked that my SLX and Deore RDs didn't have bearings in them. I thought all things that spin needed bearings and the manufacturers would have put it in. Well, they didn't. Who am I to argue with them? But that doesn't mean I have to agree. So I got this from LnT cycles at Tampines for 35SGD. They came in a blister pack with 2 Token stickers. Putting them in place of the original jockey wheels is pretty simple.
Now the question : Did I feel the difference between the black, plastic, bushing-equipped Shimano and this aluminum, gold anodized, steel bearing equipped replacement? No. No difference at all.
Are they worth the dough? To me, yes! I can sleep at night knowing that those jockey wheels in my RD now have steel bearings to support them. Plus they are gold.. and did I mention the center is red :-) ?

No comments:

Post a Comment