Saturday, June 19, 2010

Short Ride to T15

Yesterday I was telling myself I would go for a long ride. Maybe go to Pulau Ubin, spend 2-3 hours there and then come back the long route (East Coast PCN, Fort Road, Tanjong Rhu, Kallang).

But when I woke up today .... arrrggghhh, who am I kidding? I can't go to Pulau Ubin if I wake up at 9AM! Pulau Ubin rides start at 6:30AM. I am one of those carless individuals who bike from his house to Changi Village ... and back! So, no long ride for me today.

So, it was quite an overcast morning at Singapore today. Rain clouds look threatening ... but I'd rather have rains than the searing heat generated by the summer sun on this island near the equator.

After having the customary breakfast at King Albert Park McDonald's, I turned right to Dunearn Rd and then turned left to Rifle Range Road.


I normally see roadies in Rifle Range Road practicing their hillclimbs. I didn't see any today. They might be all feeling strong and decided to tackle Mt. Faber this morning.
Up, up, up I went. There was a short downhill section (and I mean short) then I went up again. After this second uphill section, there was a longish downhill BUT you can't enjoy it too much as you need to have your eyes peeled for a big fenced-up area on your right. Don't ask what is that fenced-up area, I don't know what is is. Althought I see a sign saying PUB.
Anyway, once you see the fence, start feathering the brakes ... then you will see a traffic signpost on your left. Once your bike aligns with the signpost, brake !!!!!
... then you will see this :-) Nice isn't it. Well, it's nice if you're just admiring the scenery. But if you intend to tackle this with your MTB, the only thing you see is the amount of climbing needed to be done to get to Zheng Hua park!
My phone camera can't capture the colors of the field and sad to say but this photo didn't capture what I saw. My photography-crazed friends would definitely say I 'overcooked' the background. So.....
... I took this photo after I cycled for a few hundred meters. Still no good. Now, I'm already at the right of the field and can't see its entirety. Anyway, the singletrack you see on the right is the same singletrack I follewed at the start. Just follow that. If it climbs, then climb. If it goes down, then hang on for dear life :-)
After what seems to be an eternity climbing and going downhill, the singletrack is blocked by this tree. You'll know that this tree has been there for quite some time now because somebody has already made a 'ramp' out of smaller branches. You can ride over the tree but your big chainring will hit it.
Continue following the singletrack. This track will eventually lead you to the Bukit Timah loop BUT you'll be going the opposite way! Good thing I didn't see any other riders this morning.
... almost at Zheng Hua park now. This tree is blocking the 'entrance' to ZH park. I rode over this tree at the left side crook made by that branch that grew at a right angle up. I think you may also be able to ride over the right side crook. But I saw big chainring hits at the left side so that's where I went.
From ZH Park, you go right (downhill) to Chestnut Ave. The downhill ride is long(ish) but before you enjoy it too much, you go under a bridge and then the uphill slog begins. After the climb, you'll see the start of T15 :-)
By the way, T15 starts and ends as a paved road but the route in between is soil (fireroad?).
I don't know what's up with blogger.com. I uploaded five pictures and then followed it with 3 more pictures. The last 3 pictures are missing. So I'll have to reupload in another post and continue the trail ride there.
See you in a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment