Thursday, March 10, 2011

Book Day

I haven't read these books yet. I just thought I'll list them here
so I can go back to this post and see which would be next in
my 'to read' list.

The 'summary' below each book cover was gleaned from
browsing through them during my lunch hour :-)


The author seeks to 'annoy' the French by generally splitting hairs.
He starts by writing that it is true that Normandy is in France
and that the Normans kicked the collective butts of the English in
one Battle of Hastings in 1066. However, he points out that 
the Normans at that time were not really French!
They were descendants of the North Men (Vikings?) hence
the contraction Norman. 

This book should be an interesting read.




Out of the 100 mistakes, I only managed to browse one!
I'm not sure if a lot of people knows about this particular mistake.
The Aztecs mistook the Spanish Conquistadors for their
god who promised to return to their lands.
We all know how costly that mistake was.


Do I really need to write a 'summary' here?
The title says it all. You can't go wrong with zombies.


This was a surprise! I didn't know that the John Wayne
classic (this is the only film that bagged him an Oscar)
was from a book?!

Anyway, I just listed it here. I'm not sure if I would like
reading this. I mean how do you put in words John Wayne
swaggering and drawing his gun and showing the villains
the wrath of the righteous?


This book get's a 'whoa' from me.
I listed it here because the plot looks promising.
The blurb at the back says something like when you die,
you go to the afterlife and there your whole life is explained
to you by five people who somehow made a big effect on 
your life whether you knew about it or not.



Back in 1928, Henry Ford of Model-T fame had a bright idea.

Rubber is needed not just for tires but a lot of other things.
So why not grow your own rubber trees and manufacture your
own rubber? This will make him an even more affluent man
and there is also the fact that he will no longer be relying on
rubber from other sources.

So he got a very big space in Brazil. He put up everything
that his workers would need. It seems he created a whole village
out of the forest... However, from the photos in the book,
this project was doomed to failure ...





No comments:

Post a Comment