Tuesday, November 24, 2015

#289 - Frankenbike

 
Ahhh, the perks of being jobless ;-)
Yup, I have way too much time on my hands
and so I didn't just create one Frankenbike, I also
updated my blog!
 
Anyway, as you can see in the first picture, I
created something that cyclocross enthusiasts
would abhor and mountain bike fans would loathe.
But my defence is that nowadays, I never go to
BT ... Woodcutter is just a distant memory and
we do not even know if we will still be able to
set foot in Butterfly trail. If am not in T15, or roadbike
ride with my friends, then I am most definitely in
Green Corridor.... and a bike like this is just
nice for that trail.
 
Enough of my being defensive. Let's go to the build!
 

I elected for a 1 x 10 drivetrain to keep things simple.
There is no left shifter and the right shifter is a TT 10-speed
shifter. I do not know whether this is an Ultegra or
DuraAce item as I got it from Hup Leong's sale bin.



 
Crankset is an SLX 175mm item. I took out
the 44 teeth and the granny ring and just left
the 32 teeth ring. I used a set of short crank bolts
I got from ChainReaction Cycles.
 
I also started out with XT trail pedals but I find
that I prefer my old Shimano M320 pedals and so
I am using those now instead of the pedals in the
above picture. 


 
Front and Rear brakes are mechanical disks
from Shimano. I don't know the name of the Shimano
units but I guess they are the cheapest ones available
because they come with my 2008 aluminium Jamis.
 
The wheelset is from my old Giant 2011 Anthem and
the 160mm disks are from Obbit (?).   


 
This is what gave me the most head scratching moments
in this project! I was intent on using a Deore Shadow Plus RD
since it was 10 speed. 10 speed Shimano TT shifter should
mate with a 10 speed Shimano RD (MTB) right? Wrong!
I cannot get it to shift properly and in the end I surfed and
I learned that 10 speed Shimano MTB RDs and Shifters
have a different pull ratio from the Road shifters.
 
The funny thing is that if you use a 9 speed MTB RD then
all will be right! So in went my spare SLX RD ... lo and behold
the shifting is very good.
 


 
You might ask why is this picture here when there's
already a built bike picture at the very beginning ...
Well when I first build the bike, I used an On-One steel
fork. I loved how it looked ... but my hands get numb
from all the vibrations ... and we're talking about
Green Corridor ONLY.
 
So even if I liked that fork I can't enjoy the ride
if my hands are numb all the time and so in went my
spare Manitou R7 80mm fork :-)
 
After that everything was alright ... except for ....


 
Notice the carbon seatpost LOL.
 
Now everything is alright .... but my carbon Focus
Raven bike is a lotttt faster than this bike ...maybe I
need a more comfortable frame ?
 
See you in Green Corridor !
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment