Friday, December 9, 2011

#223 - Shimano XT Trail Pedals


XT Trail Pedals - image from BikeReview.com
 Early this year, Shimano has introduced their version
of the 10-speed drivetrain. But along with the new XT and
XTR drivetrains, Shimano has also seen fit to revamp the
ubiquitous XT and XTR pedals. Now the XT and XTR
pedals are available in two flavors. One is the normal
minimalist version and the other is the 'trail' version.

Naturally, along with the introduction of the new
10-speed drivetrains, all of the components had a sudden
jump in price... and here I was hoping that the prices
would remain the same and the 9-speed versions
would be cheaper. Sigh, how naive of me.

Anyway, it looks like the only XT part that I can
afford right now are the pedals (LOL). The internet
was abuzz with how these pedals are sooo good
and sooo stable. Even one of my ride buddies gave
this a glowing review. On the strength of those
reviews, I went ahead and purchased said pedals.



There are lots and lots of descriptions of these pedals
easily obtainable on the Internet. There are even some
reviews with weights. Hence, I won't be describing nor
weighing these pedals here.

What actually, got me buying these pedals is the 'cage'.
See yellow arrows in the picture above. I had this notion
that the reports of unparalled 'stability' was due to
the cage. I thought my shoes will be resting on the cage!
But noooo... your shoes will only be resting on the
unpainted area pointed to by the blue arrows.
This area is bigger than the same area on the
old XT pedals ... but not by much!


In the picture above, the blue arrow points to the
catch mechanism for the cleats. Note that I thought
my shoes will be in contact with the area pointed by
the yellow arrow....


Picture above shows my Shimano shoes connected to
the pedals. See how big the space is between the cage
and the shoes?! I think that even with my full weight
on the shoe there is still no way that any part of my
shoes will be in contact with the cage of the pedals.

I have used these pedals on two offroad rides
and ... yes, I can feel that these pedals are a 
little bit more 'stable' than the older pedals.
But I have to emphasize that any feeling of
stability over the older pedals is jussttt a little
bit. In fact, it may even be attributed to placebo!

So, do I recommend these pedals? No! If
your pedals have given up the ghost and you need
to get new ones, then go and get the version without
the cages. Up to now, I still don't know what the
cages do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment