Sunday, December 4, 2011

#222 : Sunday Ride


I finally reached BT while there's still fog




While having my BB replaced yesterday at Hup Leong,
Mechanic John told me to join a group ride that will
be heading from Casuarina to Bukit Timah. Hmmm...
since I, nowadays, am more interested in spinning
on tame fireroads, my response was none committal.

So I left the house at 7:20 this morning and by around
8am, I met the trio of KK, Boom and Mer going to BT.
I also met FreeRider Eric blow Gangsa DH going up to
that trail leading to Casuarina saying that he'll be
meeting the rest of the peloton as they come into the
trail. I waved bye-bye and started spinning happily
in T15 ... ahhhhhhh ... peace and quiet and easy
trails. Bliss. I did four laps of T15 and on my 4th
lap ... I saw the peloton coming out of the T15 PCN?!

So, what gives??? I told them FreeRider Eric went into
the trail hoping to meet them! It turned out there
was a newbie with them and said newbie was really
scared of going into the trail! So they went to Mandai
Ave and entered T15 via the PCN !?! ... and the newbie
looked very familiar... it turned out she's my office
mate! She said she has been bugging Brother Louie for
any offroad rides but he said there were no such rides.
Hehehehe sneaky eh.

Apparently, Rochelle (the newbie) has been cycling on
PCNs all by herself until CrestPursuit Owen gave her
a phone number that somehow led to the MTB Brothers.

We continued riding and met the trio of Boom, KK and Mer
again on their way home. The MTB Brothers said they're
going to have lunch at Bukit Panjang and I told them
I will be going my way once we reach the Bukit Panjang
exit. Mike the (ex) Mechanic was leading the way and
he led us to this very short DH section which I can
tell leads to Bukit Panjang exit BUT I don't recognise
that section at all. Due to that, I descended very slowly
and at the bottom there was this mudhole which will
swallow half your wheel ... I sensed disaster coming and
so I just stopped near the mudhole hehehehe.

Mike showed Rochelle the newbie how to descend and
after the presentation it was her turn to go down.
She descended very, very quickly (I noticed she is quite
good in the DH sections) but of course when she got to
the mudhole, she didn't lift her front wheel and so
she endo'ed! She wasn't hurt but she was covered with mud
from head to toe hehehehe. Welcome to Mountain Biking :-)

By the way, while chitchatting with the peloton, I learned
Boom took part in the Tour de Timor last September!
Envious! 6 days, 600 over kilometers! I think the current
issue of SPIN has a writeup on this most Epic of all rides.

No comments:

Post a Comment