Tuesday, December 20, 2011

#227 - Sunday Ride


Some members of MTB Brothers congratulating me on my new purchase :)

Ken-san and Brother John taking a rest before their rescue mission

Brother Rey's Magic Link equipped Kona

Brother Rico's NEW Ellsworth Moment

Mike the (ex) Mechanic's racing machine

Sunday and the last day of  'testing' my new Reign.
Today is the day when all of the small stuff that needed
changing on my bike were finally done. Bash Guard,
check! Change Switch-R to Thomson seatpost, check!
Change to original tires, check! Install straight handlebar,
check!

... and so while spinning like an uncle on an old Pigeon
bike along Bukit Timah, I heard someone behind me
say 'good morning!' and when I looked, it was Brother
John from Hup Leong and Ken-san the gracious host for
the MTB Brothers X'mas Party. I got hassled a bit by
brother John for being sooo quiet the past few weeks and
then suddenly showing up with a new bike ;-)

John told me that there's only the two of them since
the rest of the MTB Brothers peloton has been
bitten by the 'wake up early and cycle' bug. Apparently,
everyone went to Casuarina and will be entering the
trail from that side at 7AM!

Anyway, the three of us decided to go straight to
Rooty Trail. Along the way, we met another member
of MTB Bros, Christian. ... and so four of us went in
Rooty Trail ... BUT only three of us went out. It turned
out Christian's RD went into his wheelset. John and
Ken-san went back into Rooty Trail on a mission
of mercy. Me? I took the easy way out and went
to T15.

The thing that I learned from using this AM bike
is that I need to get stronger before I can go around
like I do on my XC bike (duhhh). I mean everything
is possible : short, steep climbs / long climbs / running
over roots, rocks, drops ... but you better be sure that
you have enough gas in your tank ... did that come out right?

Ok, it's like this, on an XC bike, there are some roots
in Rooty Trail that I can not clear. The roots just stops
my bike. You may say that I need to lift my wheels,
yes, that's true, BUT on an AM bike, I just run
over the same roots... it's just that it takes a lot
out of me in terms of energy.

Anyway, I wanted to go and do Reverse Flowy
Trail and maybe roll over the bumps at Gangsa
but it started raining heavily... and so I cut the trail
ride short and went to Esso.

Once, I got to Esso, the rest of the MTB Brothers
came! Hehehehe in the end, the 7AM ride did not
happen. After taking a few pictures, Ken-san and
John came with their rescued rider, Christian in tow.


No comments:

Post a Comment