Saturday, August 6, 2011

#185 : Saturday Ride

Start at Novena
I saw 3 turtles sunbathing on this log.
But when I approached, they jumped into the water.
Do you guys realise the left and right
sides of the trails are 'plowed' ?
I wonder how many wild pigs are
roaming around in our trails?
End at Novena
After the group ride last week, most of my
friends who live in the East opted to ride
at Pulau Ubin today. Roadie Rio is still
'recuperating' (no doubt riding with his
roadie buddies) and StairRider Deck is cooped
up in his office doing over time work.

So, no pressure today :-) I woke up a bit later
than usual and went to 6th Avenue to have breakfast.
After breakfast, I went up to RRR and went
straight to ZH Park. I didn't stop there as
I didn't see any cyclists that I know ... in fact
I think I didn't see any cyclists at all.

I went straight to Rooty Trail. At the entrance of
Rooty Trail (after you go through all the log piles),
I saw 2 guys going in and 3 guys coming out. All
3 guys coming out were pushing their bikes and
asking for directions how to get out of the trail.
2 of those guys don't even have helmets and
were wearing sandals.

The 1st of the two guys they asked
gave them directions ... and here it comes...
after giving directions, the guy just collapsed,
falling to the left side of the trail like a log!
All 5 of us panicked! I looked at the guy who
collapsed and I saw that his eyes were open...
but he is not responding to his friend who was
calling his name! We pulled him up and took off
his helmet, camelbak and unzipped his jersey.
Only then did the man 'regain' consciousness.
So we told him to keep hydrated and take it easy
as the trail they want to enter is quite tough
for newbies... he said he's ok and then .... he
collapsed again ! But this time, it took just a few
seconds for him to 'regain' consciousness.

Note that I keep enclosing the word 'regain'
in quotes because although the man collapsed,
his eyes were open all the while! I have this
notion that a person who collapses and loses
consciousness should have his eyes
closed?

Sigh, judging from that guy's looks, he seems
to be my age (40's). So I went into Rooty Trail
really scared. Hoping that such episodes won't
happen to me.

I took it easy. After Rooty Trail I went to the
Summit via the grassy singletrack I found last week.
After the summit I went back to the mango trees
and then proceeded to do the Reverse of Rooty Trail.

While going in to do the Reverse of Rooty Trail.
I saw those 2 guys again. I asked if they're ok.
They said yes and asked me for directions on how
to get back to civilization. I gave them directions
to get to T15. Seeing them reminded me of my age
again and so I took it easy inside Reverse Rooty Trail.

I'll be going in again tomorrow :-)



No comments:

Post a Comment