Saturday, February 19, 2011

Saturday Ride

Wheeler frame, RST Gila fork, 8 speed
Sometimes all you really need to go mountain biking are a decent bike,
stamina and balls! A 16 year old boy joined us today for our group ride.
It was his first time in Bukit Timah and first time mountain biking.
But he passed the Bukit Timah test with flying colors. After the ride,
everybody was telling him to train for the upcoming races... he might as
well since he is training on road anyway.

Today's group ride saw just five riders going for the Bukit
Timah trail. The ride was quite fast as we went in to BT @9AM
 and we finished 'S' trail at T15 by 10AM.

Since it was still early, we went to this very muddy trail
which terminates at the foot of Gangsa DH track. That brought
us to near 12noon and since we have a school boy with us
who is supposed to go for tuition @2pm, we
went for lunch @bukit panjang.



NoLights Louie has 120mm Epicon and now Gavin also has
the 120mm but with remote lock version of said fork.

Since Gavin had a F1RST before, I asked him what he thinks
about the two. Of course, the Epicons are much nicer in
suspension action overall.

I haven't tried his bike yet but judging from what I saw
today, it looks like this fork should be all that you need for BT.
I'll borrow Gavin's bike next week and check it out....
I just hope it still is the same bike as from last week
to this week saw him change the fork and the wheelset!


Yesterday I went to Takashimaya and saw that they are having
 their Post-CNY Sale! I grabbed this hydration pack for just 49$ !
It's small, it's light and it's cheap. The straps are all just mesh and
it holds a 2Liter water bag. There are no other pockets but your
wallet and tools would fit in the compartment for the water bag.

Ok all good points there... now comes the annoying part. If you get
a camelbak, even if you somehow spoil the part where you drink from.
There is a lock that you can twist such that the water won't drip.
That lock is not in the design of this hydration pack....
So you could imagine, after I drink, if I leave the spout
hanging and pointing downwards : drip drip drip drip. Annoying!

It looks like the designers made the hose long and they also
gave a small hose clip so that you could attach the hose to
 that clip when you are not drinking. The hose forms a 'U' in front
of your chest if done properly.

If you don't do this... drip drip drip ...

It was also my first time to use my Diadora on the trails.
Grip when pushing your bike uphill in mud is good!
Hehehe not like my Shimano M086.

Also for those wondering, I have had Shimano, Specialized,
Diadora shoes and I just bought 661 shoes. The sizing seems
to be the same across these brands. My size 41 Shimano,
corresponds to the same size for Specialized, Diadora and 661.

Anyway, I'll be wearing the 661s tomorrow since I'll be riding alone.
No need to be fast and furious :-)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment