Sunday, March 11, 2012

#235 - Reboot


See the dial at the back? It's very good for one-hand fit adjustment.
... and it keeps it's setting

Ignore sweaty model and look at the nice profile of the GUB Mark helmet.

I'm back! ... and no, I didn't quit cycling to go back
to driving remote control cars :) I think I may have
fallen victim to the 'Curse of the Local Bloggers'.

I have been cycling on the same trails over and over
for the past four years. Many times in a trail ride
I slow down to take a picture only to remember that I
should not be where I am (you know those places *wink*)
or that within a split-second I decided that taking that
particular picture is not worth stopping my trail ride.

Now I understand other local bloggers (like Anvil)
when he says that we should all go to neighboring
countries where the trail riding is much more diverse
instead of taking pictures of the same places over and
over again.  


Anyway! That's it for my mini rant. I have been doing
a lot of things so that I could go on for longer rides and
hopefully join even just one of the many jamborees in
Malaysia. One thing that I did was to get this roadie
helmet GUB Mark.

CrestPursuit Owen brought three models of helmets
recently. As I mentioned above, the GUB Mark is the
roadie helmet and the other that caught my eye is an
AM helmet, the Laplace Q3. I don't have a picture of
the Laplace Q3 but everybody will find it familiar
as it resembles another AM helmet made by this
famous company whose name rhymes with BOX
*wink *wink.

I got the GUB Mark roadie helmet as I have been
looking for an airy helmet with adjustments that can
be done using one hand (e.g. by using a dial) ... and
lastly, said helmet must not require that I sell one
of my kidneys. That last requirement basically rules
out the delectable helmet selection offered by Tay
Junction Bukit Timah.

The GUB Mark helmet did not disappoint. Lots of
cooling holes in front and even lots of exhaust ports
at the back. It even has channels that divert airflow
from the front to the back of your head. It also comes
with extra pads. Lastly, the medium size fits my head
(55cm). The fit can be micro-managed using a dial
at the back of the head. The straps plus the dial cradles
your head snugly.

I have had this helmet for two or three weeks now
and I have used it for slow evening climbs at Mt. Faber
and hot twelve noon climbs in Hell Climb at Mandai.
All the holes in this helmet make sure you will be as
cool as the current environment would allow.

What would give you a maniacal grin is the coolness
in your head when you are going downhill in the 
evening at Mt. Faber. Definitely on a different level
that my other helmets (i.e. Fox Flux and Striker).

Ok, now you the question I ask myself at the end
of each review. What would I change about this
helmet? At this price level? Nothing. The helmet
serves my purposes perfectly.

... and as evidence that I am still doing my trail
rides, see pictures below  ... and hopefully
I have other stuff to update you with :-)


Lake at Hell Climb

She's come for the second straight week! Is she back
for good?

Fast riding at T15






No comments:

Post a Comment