Sunday, May 27, 2012

#246 - Threadlock

This threadlock compound could be used in place of  Loctite Blue

Sam Cheng of HobbyLink @ 3rd Flr Far East Plaza

See the 1/8 buggy @ $930? Expensive toys!
Today's post was prompted by my having misplaced
my threadlocking compound AKA Loctite Blue.
 
 
The first thing that baffled me when I was learning
how to assemble mountain bikes is that grease is always
required whenever you screw something to something.
This is the exact opposite of the standard practice in
building remote control cars. For RC cars, you put
threadlock whenever a screw needs to be screwed in
to a metal part.
  
 
So when attaching the cleats on my new Bontrager
RXLs, I looked for my threadlock/blue Loctite. I can't
find it in it's usual place only to remember that I left
it in the office.
  
 
I went to HobbyLink at Far East Plaza to get a
small bottle of threadlocking compound. Once there,
I had a chat with old friend Sam, the owner of HobbyLink
and he told me that he now rides a Gary Fisher RumbleFish.
He said he prefers this more than his Trek 29er HT
and his Nicolai 26 FS. The RumbleFish is apparently
a lot kinder on his lower back. He normally rides at
Tampines MTB Park and so I asked him if the
full sus 29er RumbleFish is "slow" in Tampines
knowing that that place is mostly twisting singletrack?
He said it's ok and he doesn't have any problems.

After talking about MTBs, the topic then went
to why we normally ride alone and seems to be always
in a hurry to get home... and we realised maybe it's
because we are 'paying' for all those times that we
spent RC racing instead of going out with our families.
So now that we're out of RC, we cycle and then
quickly, without any delay, ride home. I asked him
how much does he need to 'pay' for, he said 25 years
of racing. Ahhhh, I only have to pay for 10 years.

Hehehehe this is what keeps me going back to
HobbyLink even if I'm no longer racing RC. Talk
about old hobbies (RC) and new hobbies (MTB). 







4 comments:

  1. hahaa. good old sam.. i just went over to HL to get some hobby paint to paint of some chip paint of my bike

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah! You could use that. I also got a new 4mm hex screw driver from him. He was thinking where would I use a 4mm hex screwdriver? I told him it's for the screws on the brakes and shifters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. huh.. dont u have those hex from the days of racing. i was using the hudy stuff still. manage to find those in my pile of discarded stuff in the stores

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know for what reason, I never bought the 4mm screwdriver. I have all of them except 4mm.

    ReplyDelete