Monday, May 21, 2012

#245 - Kulaijaya MTB Jamboree 2012


Oooohh bad idea to do on a night before the race : cramming

View from outside the bus. Around 6AM at the JB Gas Station
where everyone from Singapore assembles before heading on
to races in Malaysia

Nice! The sun hid almost the whole day in Kulai.

My friends fixing up their bikes.
  55Kilometers of trail ! That is what the Kulaijaya
Extreme MTB Jamboree promised us! Actually, we
found that out after we registered. But that's not the point :)
Anyway, this race was made as smooth as possible by
CrestPursuit Owen and StairRider Deck who took care
of all the transport arrangements AND also Edward C.
from PadyakPinoy for helping us with the registration.
I'll spare you the blow by blow account of our travels from
Novena to the race site. However, I continue to be amazed
at how much fanfare the Malaysians could inject into these
bike races. Before the MTB race started, we saw the flag off
for the 120km bike race. There were definitely lots of racers
from Singapore for both the road and MTB race.
So, after the Roadies were sent off to start their 120km race,
we lined up for our MTB race. All the girls were asked to go
to the front and they will be given a 2 minute headstart. We
said bye bye to NoLights Louie as we realized that she's a girl.
Whereas the announcer in the KIP Mart race told us that
there will be no marshalls/medical support if ever we meet
an accident on the trails, the announcer for this race told
us that the trails are wet due to recent rains and that he thinks
we should not run our tyres too hard ... I slowly looked at my
rear wheel ... and before I even saw the Presta valve on my
rim, Roadie Rio emerged out of the fog and told me : "I
know what you are thinking... don't do it. If you do it then
you will have doubted yourself. Believe in yourself. "

... After saying that, he melted away into the fog ... errr
I mean he went further in front because that is his race
strategy.

... and so 2 minutes after the women set off, the announcer
finally let the GU powered peloton take off !

I saw all my friends jostling for position. Me on the other
hand don't want to be in front of people who can go downhill
faster/better than myself and so I literally let everyone go.
I was telling myself : I have 55km to pick off each and
everyone of you one by one ... teeheeheeheee.

The first bottle neck. This is the left side.

... and this is the right side
See! At this stage of the race, I was taking pictures and
conserving energy. BUT it all changed when we
encountered the first stretch of singletrack. Would you
believe everybody, and I mean everybody was pushing
their bikes?! The singletrack was not even technically
challenging. It was just narrow. If you've been to Rooty
Trail here in Singapore, you will be wondering at what
the fuss was about. ... and so I couldn't take it anymore
and asked one local why we were pushing our bikes.
He told me because that was a technical section. Huh??!?!
Really?? I thought there's an accident in front. He
assured me there's no accident. Just that the front
guys can't ride that singletrack. Arrggghhhh!!!!

After emerging out of the singletrack, we went out
into ... something like a plantation ... I tried to catch
some water coming out of the sprinkling system and
the guy in front of me had the same idea. Well bad idea
it turned out as the water hit us while we were going
downhill and the guy in front of me slipped and he rolled
with his bike. I almost ran over the guy. I braked and
asked the guy if he was ok. He told me he's fine but I told
myself no hydrating from sprinklers from now on.

When I reached CP2, I saw two team mates of mine,
Ronald and Neil having a picnic. Their helmets were
off and they were eating bananas and exchanging war
stories. I think they only realised the race is not yet
over when they saw me. I told myself : Aha! My strategy
is working! See these two?! I will overtake them now!
Mwahahaha!

I let them go first and followed immediately behind.
... and while I was planning my next move ... I noticed
I was no longer pedalling! I was swimming in mud!
Yup, it happened that fast. I didn't even have time to
unclip from the pedals. I stood up and said "I'm ok!
I'm ok" ... and then realised nobody cares hehehehe.
So, my two friends cycled thinking I was just behind
them and listening to their conversation.

So, I cycled alone until I got into this verrryyyy long
downhill section. I was off the brakes. The guy in front
of me was quite a long way ahead ... until I couldn't see
the guy anymore. Alarm bells rang in my head and I
started braking ... at the bottom of the section I saw the
guy was trying to wipe away blood from his knees.
It turned out the downhill section ends into a sharp
right turn and he couldn't turn in time. I asked him
if he's ok and he told me he's fine. Good thing
mountain bikers are a macho bunch :)

I caught up with my friends again on CP3. Their
helmets are off again and they were eating more bananas!
I said hello and proceeded to take a leak at the side of the
road thinking I hope I don't get fined for doing that.
Then I think my friends thought I was going to chat for
a while since I'm off my bike but I decided to be
sneaky and took off nyahahahaha.

... Only to find out that the next section is road
and it was damn boring when you don't have anyone
to talk to when cycling on road. But the first surprise
of the race greeted me! After the road section, CP4
was there! Huh?! was that 15KM already??? Can't be!
But who am I to argue? So I doused myself with water
and cycled furiously. I was thinking those people
I let go were not yet dropping like flies to my
superior stragedy , er strategy.

... and while thinking about this, I saw the 2nd surprise
of the race! There on the ground is a stake with a sign
saying "1Km to Base". HUH?!! I'm quite sure I haven't
cycled 54Km yet! If this is 54Km, then there will be
lots of really weak people on the floor nursing their
cramps , at least that was what I was expecting.

But the sign was there and so I stopped for a while
and ate my last GU and Endurolyte capsule and pedalled
as fast as the mud would allow me. I think I passed
6 to 8 people who no doubt are wondering why am
I pedalling like I was after a podium place LOL.

In the end, I got the last sticker that said I was 195th
finisher awwwwwww!

 
Nice view near the end of the race.

Me at the finish line showing some signs of 'buying' some land
in Kulai

A few top 100 finishers in my group.




No comments:

Post a Comment