Monday, May 28, 2012

#247 - Tampines Trail

Green Trail. Nice!

View from the top of Teletubbies (not sure if it is still called Teletubbies)

View from the top of Teletubbies (not sure if it is still called Teletubbies)



View from the top of Teletubbies (not sure if it is still called Teletubbies)


There are five water points where you can wash your bikes.

HobbyLink's Uncle Sam with his RumbleFish.
I have a time to beat now : 5 laps in 1 hour :)

I have started heeding Roadie Rio's advice to not
flog myself doing two consecutive hard rides. So Saturday
was a hard ride and Sunday, I cycled to East Coast Park.

On the way to East Coast Park, I passed by Nichol Hiway
and saw a few stragglers from the last night's Sundown
Marathon. Hehehe these guys really look spent. I even saw
one girl who seemed to be on the verge of tears (Really!).
Anyway, a few minutes more and I saw this marshall on a
motorbike telling the runners/walkers to go to the sidewalk
as the lane is going to be given back to motorists' use.

Anyway, I cycled all the way to Changi Village even if it
was very boring. I wanted to do a u-turn and go back to
Fort Road but just imagining the mind numbing ride
back was enough to make me think about other routes.
.... and then it hit me! I haven't gone to Tampines Trail
since (around) New Year of 2011. Why not pay a visit?

... and so I went to Tampines Trail and signed in.
Instead of going full throttle into Trails A, B and C, I went
into the green graded trails first.... it was sooo nice. It might
be that the day was overcast and the sun was not beating on
me so fiercely but the place is sooo green. There are no visible
signs of the green trail being overly used. The green trail
eventually led to the carpark ... but before I reached the
carpark, I saw an area where you can play PaintBall wargames!

After looking around a bit in the PaintBall Area, I went into
Trail A (the old Teletubbies?). I used my granny gear all the way
...and surprise, surprise, I saw Uncle Sam doing his laps on his
RumbleFish. I have always thought that 29ers would be "slow"
in Tampines Trail because it is all twisty singletrack. But seeing
Uncle Sam with a 29er... he doesn't look slow at all !

I finished Area A and was going to Area B when I saw
Uncle Sam and he was telling me to go to Area C
(the old Ziggurat?)  and chase him! No thanks!
I went to Area B instead and continued doing the trail
on my granny. I must say that although there are lots of
switchbacks in Area B, the trail still flows nicely!

I finished Area B and went to Area C ... still on my
granny gear, Uncle Sam passed me!??! That was fast!
Since it was his last lap, he talked to me a bit. He told
me he normally does five laps in 1 hour and then quickly
cleans his bike, because as I said in my last post, he is
"paying" for 25 years of RC racing "debts" hehehehe.
So yesterday, he was again in a hurry because he needs
to run some errands. Too bad because I wanted to try
his RumbleFish and satisfy my curiosity about 29ers.
Next time maybe.

I cleaned my bike leisurely in one of the five
available water points ... free of charge :)
While cleaning my bike I chatted with another
cyclist named Anthony who was on a Jamis Dakota.
In hindsight I should have begged him to let me
try his Jamis Dakota as I really wanted to know if
the Carbon Fibre seatstays make a difference in
taming trail chatter.

Anyway, we talked about how well maintained
the trail is. Actually, the trail is not just well maintained,
it really does flow nicely and once you are very familiar
with the trail flow, I imagine it is very easy to attain
Zen on this trail.

... And lastly! 
1. I noticed Uncle Sam was wearing a Bontrager RXL
2. I bought threadlocking compound from him to
attach SPD cleats to my own Bontrager RXL
3. points 1 and 2 should be enough hint for me
to post the review of the Bontrager RXL :)



1 comment:

  1. let do tamp trail . i do see Sam doing his lap in tamp in the morning..
    Pretty decent speed.. but i find it more tiring than BT cause it very open and sometime the heat just get to you

    ReplyDelete