Saturday, January 14, 2012

#231 : Saturday Group Ride


Efren wearing goggles ... by Speedo hehehehe

Brother Oro looking peachy even after his early spill
Alvin on his way to jumping, and I mean JUMPING into
the first stream.

Alvin after his jump

Jun resting after his 2nd(?!) lap of that trail that leads
 to Casuarina.
Friday and our Facebook Group was finally abuzz
with late feelers as to who wants to go on a group
ride today (Saturday). In the end, Efren and
Sugar Rush Rey were the only ones free to go to
Bukit Timah. I wanted to wake up late and so
I didn't respond so that they won't have to wait
for me.

... Saturday morning came and I dragged myself
out of bed ... I really want to go on a trail ride, it's
the getting there part that I hate ... anyway, I
went inside Bukit Timah from the Visitor Centre
at 9:15AM and I took my owwnnnn sweet time
in getting to Zheng Hwa Park.

By the way, did you all notice that the mountain
bike trail has been invaded by trail runners? I mean
I'm ok with sharing the trail BUT some of them are
listening to MP3 players and are ambling like
spaced out zombies. I'm not sure if they hear the
bikes coming???

Ok, back to my trail ride... when I finally got to
ZH Park, I saw Efren, Sugar Rush Rey and new
guy Mon. They told me they will be going to Rooty
Trail and then go home. Hehehehe too bad they
saw me. I convinced them to go Casuarina trail and
back after Rooty Trail and they agreed.

After Rooty Trail, we saw a few guys from MTB
Brothers. Our friend Oro was sporting some nasty
scratches on the face that promises to boost his machismo.
No doubt you heard that saying 'chicks dig scars'. I
enquired as to the cause of the scratches on his face
and his helmet (!!!) and I was told that he had an endo
at the first downhill in Bukit Timah. Arrggghhh gnarly!

MTB Brothers went home early as this was their
first ride for the year and everyone was still lugging
excess pounds due to drinking and eating during the
holidays.

... and off we went to Casuarina Trail.

Casuarina Trail is quite dry except for the first
stream ... speaking of the first stream. We found some
guys playing in the first stream. One guy (we later found out
his name to be Alvin) was doing a banzai run coming from
the direction of the 2nd stream and he wants to jump that
2 or 3 foot drop that leads to the 1st stream. When I said
jump, I mean jump! I have seen many many people roll
that 'drop' ... but seeing his speed, he has no intention of
rolling it! He was literally gonna jump! Into the soft ground!
... Spectacular ENDO if he makes an error.

On his first try, he was going fast... and when he landed
his jump, he turned to the left, went into the stream and
he was thrown off his bike. Hehehehe if I was that,
I'd go home by then. ... He picks himself up and he
seemed to know what he did wrong. He picks up his
bike and pushes it back uphill.

Now every one was waiting with a camera pointed
in his general direction. ... This time I saw he is going
even faster than the first try! ... and this time he jumped
perfectly, didn't even bother to avoid the soft ground
and I think he landed almost at the first stream !!!
Everyone watching was whooping!

... after that, me and my mates continued with our ride
while wondering aloud, if we were 20 years younger
and if we have access to a decent FreeRide/DH bike,
would we do that? Me? No way! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment