Sunday, February 2, 2014

#278 - Quick and Dirty Mini XC Race




Friday, Jan 31st is Chinese New Year in Singapore.
Those who have been living in Singapore for some
time now know that lots of commercial establishments
(even hawker centres) are closed for a few days. 

So what can we do when faced with this kind
of predicament? Hehehehe hold an XC Race maybe?
... and that is exactly what Owen of CrestPursuit
and the rest of PadyakPinoy SG thought so.

This is a very informal race. It was unsupported
and unsanctioned. You may even think of it as a
'timed' group ride and you get lots of beer
afterwards ;-) Hup Leong bike shop also donated
some items for the raffle draw :-)

The venue was supposed to be the Tampines Bike
Park where the Youth Olympics for XC was held
BUT of course later on it was announced that that
place would be closed for CNY as well. So the race
was held at the back where the Moonscape
and Kidneys are situated.

Anyway, I went to Tampines to join in the
heckling hehehe. When I got there, the Race Committee
told me that I am not too late and I can still join!
Huh?! No no no not today. I told them my wife
just told me to buy a bottle of vinegar and
that I just lost my way.

At that point, Owen of CrestPursuit and John
of Hup Leong was leading the racers on a 'neutral lap'.
This neutral lap will show the racers the complete loop.

I sat down at the Race Committee's hut and exchanged
"hi"s and "hello"s to people I only see in Malaysian
Jamborees.  After a few minutes, all the racers came
and lined up at the starting line. Owen mentioned that they
need more marshalls and the Race Committee
immediately volunteered me to be one of the marshalls.
There goes my heckling plans.

Owen explaining the rules : no biting, no headbutts, no hitting below the belt, etc.
- pic by Louie Aribon


The Race Committee


Start of the race !
The racers were divided into Beginners' and
Masters' Categories. I think Beginners would include
those who have not raced in Singapore and Malaysia yet.
Masters Cat didn't have anything to do with age.
If you've raced before, then you'll be grouped here.

I didn't see the actual start but it seems there was
a delay because Nick McHugh had a puncture and
Owen had to lend him a wheel. Anyway, after that,
the race started and the pack went on to the forest
and then they had to go to the Kidney (not sure which
one, lower or upper?), then they went towards my
marshalling point and then went towards the
ex-Moonscape part, went down towards the hut and
that would be 1 lap.

Beginners had to do 3 laps and Masters had to
do 4 laps. The first lap leaders were Anton and Bal.
After the 2nd lap, it was Bal leading by a margin of 10
seconds from Nick. At the 3rd lap, Bal was still leading but
Nick was already glued to his rear tire. At the fourth lap,
it was already Nick who was leading, followed 
by Darren (mechanic of Bike Haus 6th Ave) then followed by
Bal who I think hit the proverbial 'wall'.

First lap

 After the race, I immediately got down from my
marshalling point and did a lap of the race loop.
The forest area is nice and dry. The Kidneys are
nice and flowy too. Sigh... too bad this place
had to go to make way for some new development.

Overall nice guy Nick McHugh of PadyakPinoy SG won the race



The top ten. Notice the different team jerseys? PadyakPinoy SG,
Tropang Putikan, Lagalag and MTB Brothers are all represented



Me ! - wearing RED . It's Chinese new Year :-)








No comments:

Post a Comment