Saturday, March 29, 2014

#285 - All Hawker Food Friday




 I think the haze 2 weeks back and the sudden
changes in the weather have given me the worst
flu of all time. So last Friday, I finally decided
to surrender the fight and went to the Polyclinic.
 
The line at the Polyclinic was surprisingly short
and I was seen by the doctor and was released with
an armful of medications earlier than expected.
 
The doctor promised me that taking said medications
will result in me being very drowsy ... heh that's not
good right? I better do things before I become very
sleepy.
 
So I went to Vertex and decided to check out what 
10$ can buy me LOL. It turns out I can't buy much
with 10$ ... and so I decided to just pig out. Food is
always there to make one happy :-)
 
Anyway, off I went to Lavender area, to be precise
the Army market at Beach Road.
 
Lunch was at the Thai Experience hawker. This
hawker is difficult to miss since it faces Golden Mile
and is always surrounded by Thais which seem to
be content with the cooking here. Needless to say
the food is authentic Thai and you only need to
see all the Thais eating at this place to believe me.
 
 
 
 
Next is Dessert at the Ah Balling Peanut Soup.
There are lots of 'pretenders' to the throne BUT this
is THE King !
 
I always, always order the Yam balls with peanut
soup. I always order five pieces as well since they
are just 2$ for 5 pieces.
 

 
After dessert is coffee.
Have you seen this Blog Post ?
Well, I have and I had to see for myself since
I'll be taking bus 145 home anyway and I will
pass by the North Bridge Hawker on the way
to the bus stop.
 
To be honest, when I first read that blog, I thought
to myself : "coffee with butter ??? yuck ".
 
But I thought I could always just don't finish the
coffee if it is really yucky, right? Well, when I
finally tasted it .... it wasn't bad .... actually it is
nice !
 
The thing is, that blog really hit the nail on the
head. That coffee shop indeed seemed to be stuck
in the 60s/70s. Even the old uncle who serves
coffee is still wearing the same white singlet
and stripped pajamas. It seems time stood still
and so I sipped my coffee like I was in Starbucks.
But the atmosphere in that coffee shop is much
better. Just you, your coffee, your thoughts
and nice people whose greetings is not :
Good Afternoon but 'cha pa bueh?'.
 
After a few minutes, I finished my buttered
coffee bought a bottle of mineral water and
took my medication. That should ensure that
I sleep immediately once I get home :-) 
 
 
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment