Thursday, December 27, 2012

#263 - BottleTree Park RC Track

I bought this TA05-IFS when I stopped playing RC. I couldn't
resist the Inboard Front Shocks.

My TA05-IFS resting on my very very old Yokomo car stand.
In the background is my Sanwa M8 bought in 1998(?). It was the
coolest radio back then. Now the battery is held in place by
2 rubber bands.

Good thing I brought my arsenal of 48pitch pinions.
I came with a 22T in my car, I ended up using 30T.

The other track in BottleTree Park for Offroad EP buggies.
I think I last held a transmitter in 2005. After that, I played
football, got operated on the right knee, paddled DragonBoat
and Outrigger Canoe for 3 years and been biking for the last
4 years. I have been RC free for the last 7 years.
 
... and I heard my fellow former RC addicts clap their hands.
 
However, Deck has been bitten by the RC bug again and he
was bitten very very hard this time. I think he has more cars
now than when we were still considered RC addicts. He even
has the holy grail of expensive RC Cars (i.e. 1/8 on-road).
 
Anyway, he's been bugging me to go with him to the RC car
heaven in Singapore which is BottleTree Park. In BottleTree
park, there is a track for on-road cars, another track for off-road
cars and lastly, the operator of the tracks, RaceWorks have their
hobby shop there.
 
Raceworks stock all kinds of car kits and of course, spare parts
for whatever stuff that you might break when you are playing
at the track. Nitro cars are not allowed and so there is electric
outlet for each pit table. The pits are also well lighted and
very airy due to the number of fans on site. You can even play
at night when the air is much cooler because the tracks are
well lighted.
 
Hence for those who are into RC, just pick your poison,
on-road or off-road and RaceWorks will make sure
you keep on running and that you'll enjoy your time there.
  
Anyway, I told Deck I will go provided that I will spend
very very little $$$ on this outing. Note that during the late
90's, Rio and I buy 250$ for 5 sets of tires for 1/8 on-road,
a gallon of fuel for 50$, glow plugs for 8$-10$ (?), set aside
a bit more money for spare parts (in case we crash hard), set
aside money for lunch and finally set aside taxi money to
and from the East Coast Track .... and that is only on a Saturday
practice!!!! What if we were racing on the next day???
 
So there, the condition was that I spend very little. My sub-C
NiMH are all dead and LiPo is now king. So I talked to old friend
Winnie from Swan Models in Orchard Plaza and she hooked me
up with a decent LiPo pack. I got just 1 pack because nowadays,
LiPos can be recharged once they cool down and they don't
loose their punch even on the 2nd charge (unlike NiCds and NiMHs).
Deck then lent me an iMax B6 LiPo charger which can balance
charge my batteries at 5.0A charge rate.
 
So, Boxing Day came and we took a cab to BottleTree Park
and when we got there .... ahhhh heaven :-) Our batteries were
already charged and so we went out and drove for our 1st pack.
 
While driving for the first time after 7 years of NOT driving RC
cars, two things came to me :
                                   1. I am undergeared and
                                   2. I don't have off power steering
   
Anyway, gearing was solved easily, throughout the afternoon
I kept going up by two teeth on the pinion while keeping the
spur 72T. I ended up using 30T (from 22T). I don't know my
final ratio as I forgot my internal ratio ... I also forgot how to
compute the final drive ratio ... errr whatever, from driving
the car, I can tell that I am geared correctly. I also brought a
temp gun (useful for taking engine temperature) and my black
can motor was coming off the track after 5 minutes of run at
71degrees Celsius. So there, I wasn't frying my motor.
 
As for my off power steering, I tried to increase the droop
on the rear of the car to create more power transfer ... but it
wasn't working. I tried to add 1mm and then finally 2mm of
droop BUT there was no effect whatsoever. So I just drove
my car with a terrible off power push. On power steering
was another story though. It was phenomenal. The car steers
on power like it was on rails (<== overused RC car cliche).
 
We got there at around 12+PM and decided to leave at 7PM.
I told myself while we were getting the taxi on the way home
to NOT enjoy this too much as this hobby is very expensive
.... now the only thing I know that can cure off-power push
is a front one-way hehehehehe ....
 


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing alot of information with us,I have never seen a more detailed information about this.I personally like this .... and big fan of RC vehicles ...these are a real source of enjoyment for the whole family....Continue reading

    Regards,
    Berry

    ReplyDelete